[RC] Plastic vs steel shoes - Wendy Mancini

    I was a believer in plastic.  Swore by GC shoes but have also gone back to steel.  The first year was perfect, no problems, never lost a shoe.  Second year had some problems with hoof cracking in the spring & lost a couple in mud.  This year the hoof was breaking up with every ride & shoes kept twisting & coming off.
    I did put them on my young horse for 2 shoeings & they did cause his heel to grow & spread & the frog thickened & became much wider but when the shoe twisted during the first 20 mi of NY 100 CTR & he came up lame from stepping on nails I realized the problem was too much traction.  ( I was pretty ticked off, too!) The shoe would actually stick in place while the hoof would move.
    So, back to steel with pads.  Just finished 2 days at Summer Breeze in KY & didn't loose a shoe & hooves are fully intact.
    Wendy Mancini