Re: [RC] Suspensory Ligament Strain - Chris Paus

Wendy,

We had a strained outerbranch suspensory ligament to
deal with last winter. It took about 3 months to heal.
Has your vet done an ultrasound? That is the only way
to know how much damage has been done.

Our vet had us confine our horse for that time and
keep his leg supported with an ace bandage wrap. He
was on bute for the first 2 weeks to reduce the
inflammation. The inflammation can cause further
damage to the ligament, so it's important to keep the
horse quiet and on an anti inflammatory.

After the acute phase, we just kept his leg wrapped
and kept him quiet. I have a small round pen and kept
him in there. After a month, we started handwalking
twice daily, and then limited turnouts.

He was doing fine until last week when he reinjured
the ligament at a CTR.

This diagnosis really sucks but it's not as bad as a
torn ligament. The key at this point is to prevent the
sprain/strain from becoming a tear or rupture.

chris

--- Wendy Harris <wendyh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi RideCampers,

Had the vet out yesterday to evaluate my daughters
horse.  Diagnosis is a
strained Suspensory Ligament along with a possible
infection, unsure until
the blood work returns.  Horse came up lame on
Wednesday and Thursday his
sheath blew up the size of a cantelope.  I just had
him completely cleaned
about 4 weeks ago.  I assumed the two were related
but vet feels they are
two separate issues.  Was given poultice to use on
leg, need to apply and
wrap daily.  Small walks with rest stall for at
least a week then possibly
light work.  Horse was given a shot of cortisone, a
shot of Lasix and a shot
of vitamin E.  Vet feels that we are deficient in
Vitamin E and Selenium.
I?m wondering if anyone can give me a guess as to
how long it takes for a
Suspensory Ligament to heal?  The horse is bare foot
right now ? Vet did ask
me if I was going to be putting shoes on him.  I
wasn?t planning on it but
will if it will help.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Wendy-Michigan

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com).
Date: 6/14/2004

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus