[RC] Suspensory Ligament Strain - Wendy Harris

Hi RideCampers,

Had the vet out yesterday to evaluate my daughters horse.  Diagnosis is a strained Suspensory Ligament along with a possible infection, unsure until the blood work returns.  Horse came up lame on Wednesday and Thursday his sheath blew up the size of a cantelope.  I just had him completely cleaned about 4 weeks ago.  I assumed the two were related but vet feels they are two separate issues.  Was given poultice to use on leg, need to apply and wrap daily.  Small walks with rest stall for at least a week then possibly light work.  Horse was given a shot of cortisone, a shot of Lasix and a shot of vitamin E.  Vet feels that we are deficient in Vitamin E and Selenium.    I’m wondering if anyone can give me a guess as to how long it takes for a Suspensory Ligament to heal?  The horse is bare foot right now – Vet did ask me if I was going to be putting shoes on him.  I wasn’t planning on it but will if it will help.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Wendy-Michigan

---