Re: [RC] buying, selling, breeding, producing - Kristene Smuts

The only other country that comes close is Australia, IMO--and they are now
starting down the same primrose path that American breeders did 20+ years
ago.  Meanwhile, their "old colonial" sorts of horses (very much like the
various "preservation" groups here) have been cleaning up all over the world
in endurance--in fact, I'd wager that the UAE is now buying more horses there
than here, simply because they can FIND more of those sorts of horses for
sale there now--or at least, one doesn't have to sort through as many horses
to find them....>>

<pout>  Don't forget South Africa!  We have some wonderful horses here, but as
you pointed out above, the same is happening here - the show circuit, the
"preservation groups" AND the UAE buyers.  We have a very small Crabbet pool to
choose from and the few of us who love the line, do what we can to try and
preserve it, within reason, of course.  Because the pool is so small, the
danger is in not having enough diversity and some Crabbets are starting to look
like small drafts.

Many of our top horses have been bought by the UAE and as you also mentioned,
never to be heard from again.  We now run into the very real danger of selling
all our good stock which will leave us with the less than good breeding
material for our future horses, as I pointed out in a previous post under this
thread.  And yes, there are riders who train with the sole view of selling
those horses on to the big buyers.

The UAE agents crawl like ants all over the riders at the National
Championships, offering ridiculously high (to us) prices for the horses.  It's
very hard to say "no" to a forceful salesman!

Kristene
South Africa