Re: [RC] horse that spooks on the trail - Truman Prevatt

I've been riding the same horse for 9 years now and he's been a grade A spooker for 9 years. I got him from my wife because she couldn't stay on his spooks. He still spooks but the thing I learned with him early on is he is much better when we ride alone rather than with other people. He's pretty solid and no nonsense when we are out there alone. But throw in another horse or two and he knows he is "with" rather than just crossing paths and he is in front - he can put on a show.

At rides we go out by ourselves - I make sure he knows it me and him. We may pass horses or they may pass us but as long as he thinks he isn't riding with them its fine. Granted he might get a little racey but that's a different issue. Under these conditions he's all business down the trail and very seldom spooks.

So I echo some of Chris' advice - get some dressage lessons on the hrose. This way you will develop good communication with the horse - communication that he will understand. It should help him relax. Work out any ill fitting saddle, ill fitting bit, etc. issues during this time. Next spend a lot of time riding alone with him. Let him know it is you and him and the trail. Let him know you expect him to be bold. Don't always condition - just go out and hack around some times. Go out and smell the roses, let him graze, take new trails, etc. If your horse is not in good enough shape to do the Bo Diddly Memorial 50 in three weeks one more conditioning ride won't get him there.

Good luck
Truman

I could use some help with a problem I am having with my horse. I have
done some Parelli with her She is a willing
horse and quick to learn. My problem is that when out on trails,
especially if she is in the lead, she spooks something awful. Anyone
got any suggestions on what I can do to get her over this or does
anyone know of any videos that address this problem?

She doesn't spook at things I have around her- plastic bags, loud
noises, clippers, even putting a tarp over her head etc, but on the
trail it is like the tigers are all hiding behind every bush. As I
said this is especially bad if she is in the lead, if she is following
another horse she is much more relaxed.

I would appreciate any ideas etc on how to fix this problem.

Thanks, Lee in Virginia

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."