Re: [RC] [RC] horse that spooks on the trail - Chris Paus

You got it Laurie.

First I don't care which "guru" you follow. Learn to
listen to your horse and learn to breathe.

Star was just as described.. spooky, jumping out of
his skin over everything. We'd do most of a trail up
and down and sideways. Now, 8 years into distance
riding, he's the leader and charges down the trail
with confidence. The difference?

Well, After two years of fighting with him, I took
several months off and went to dressage school. We
both learned a lot and gained confidence.

Then we just worked on it. I rode a lot. With others
and by myself. We had relaxing walks in the woods. I
wasn't thinking "oh, we've got a ride in 3 weeks, I
have to do x miles in x time".. Nope. We just rode
with no agenda.

The other issue often is tack. Poor saddle fit can
cause a horse to behave very badly and spook at every
turn.

One time when Star was having a particularly bad
spooky day, I finally checked my saddle and pad. The
pad had a wrinkle in it that was pinching the skin
under where I sat. Poor boy, that must have hurt like
heck! He was trying to tell me in his horse way that
something was wrong. It took me a while to figure it
out.

It takes time and lots of it with some horses. If you
are determined to compete in a certain time frame,then
you probably need a seasoned campaigner.

Some horses simply are more reactive than others and
may never be a calm and quiet ride. My other riding
horse is only 8 and he's far calmer than Star ever
will be at 17. My young mare Ali, a 4YO also is calmer
than Star. It's just the nature of the critter.

chris

--- Laurie Durgin <ladurgin@xxxxxxx> wrote:

   Personally , you can't rush them. They need to
build, when I let go of my
'time frame' for something and worked thru it ,
however long it took, that
is when I got results.

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus