Re: [RC] ans. to speaking of hoof issues - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"...ideally the hoof should be a straight line from the coronet te to the bottom of..."

Paul has a good point.  When I was young and my horses were always barefoot, I found that the last inch or so tended to flair out a bit.  That flared area tended to chip off.  I experimentally determined that if I rasped it a bit (not a lot mind you) it was much less likely to chip.

If you want to see what happens with the opposite extreme, look at the feet at a draft horse halter show.   To make the feet look as big as possible, they keep all of the flair and end up with a real mess, that chips even walking around the show ring.

Some farriers tend to get carried away and use the rasp as a way to hide the fact that they don't shape the shoe to fit the foot, but fit the foot to the shoe.

As in many things, the middle ground is probably the best.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875