[RC] speaking of hoof issues.. - Jena Williams

Hi all. Kristi made me remember a difference of opinion my farrier and I have. He always rasps the outside of the hoof and puts dressing on at the end of the trim. He said it allows the dressing to remoisturize the hoof. I asked him to skip that part on my guys. Being a good farrier, we often dicuss different techniques, theories and equipment. He does not just blindly follow an owners request, could be bad for the horse. So he wanted to know my reasoning before he changed his methods. I felt that this would gradually thin the wall and can actually dry it out because it strips the natural coating. He accepted that I had thought it through, and though he may not agree, he now does as I ask.

So what is the consensus here? rasp or not? Why?

I have to say I do think I have a great farrier. I fired 3 before I found him. He was patient with Temba during the rough first year. He really put the horses benefit over his wallet and has been supportive in our endeavor to take the horses barefoot. He wants to know how things work out for us, such as the Old Mac's or Boa boots, and is always on the lookout for what is best. He has given me "hand-me-down" rasps and hoof knives and takes the time to teach me how to keep the hoof in good shape between visits.

Jena
PowAY, CA