Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 5:57 AM
Subject: [RC] Skito/Loin rubbing and Equipedic

I have always used a Skito with my BMSS.  Had problems with loin rubbing, and also with my saddle coming forward.  Struggled trying to fix this for a few years, tried different pads, crupper, center-fired rigging, the list goes on.  Finally gave up and got a Torsion, a much shorter saddle which solved the problem.

BUT I've always found it difficult to carry much on a Torsion (although I do really like this saddle too), and this spring tried using my BMSS again with a new pad.  I use and sell Old Macs, and found myself with one of their Therapeutic pads to try out.  I didn't like the looks of it, its hard rubbery stuff on one side and dense felt on the other, very thin.  I've always been a wool fan (and still swear by my merino wool string girth........).  I finally tried it out, and am still surprised at how well it is working.

I've been riding a lot the past few months, and no loin rubbing at all.  My saddle stays right in place.  On the advice of several, I use the rubber (top) side next to the horse.  I use it under my Skito, since it doesn't have a gullet.  Heat build-up doesn't seem to be a problem, but I'd have to do a 50 with it before I could say that it isn't for sure.

Although I am thrilled to solve the rubbing/slipping problems, I would still prefer to use only one pad.  What is the underside of the Equipedic pad made of??  It seems that is the key for me, the wool underside of the Skito seems to result in a lot of slipping and rubbing.

Kathy Kelly
Parks AZ