Re: [RC] buying, selling, breeding, producing - heidi

Here's what I want to know. Who is breeding and selling the million
dollar horses that are sold overseas? How come they are never sold
here??

Because riders here won't (or can't) pay that sort of money...

Riders tell me all the time how somebody sold a horse for
$100,000 and yet that hasn't been what this group has said. Everybody
seems to know somebody who sold a horse for tons of money, and yet I
haven't read that at all on this thread. What's the deal?

Some HAVE sold for that sort of money.  Some of us have also been
unwilling to sell to overseas buyers where we really can't check out where
they will go and what might become of them.  Not saying it is a wrong
thing to do, or that I'd never do it--but it does give one pause.

I would like to see a who's who list of horses that sold for these
incredible amounts of money, where they came from, what they did, what
their pedigrees are and what are they doing now. These animals must be
absolutely amazing to go for the money I hear about. And if people who
are breeding endurance horses want to improve, aren't these the kinds of
horses to breed to? I don't know, I'm asking.

Many of them have simply disappeared.  A few have gone on to do well--but
many of us don't like the odds.  And no, some of them have not been
particularly amazing--which is likely why they just disappeared into
oblivion once they got there.  It has been more a matter of being in the
right place at the right time than any consistent thing with the horses.
Most of the high-dollar sales have been to the Middle East.  Again, one
can't always equate quality with what someone was willing to pay--many of
the top selling horses in this country in the "heyday" of the late 70s and
early 80s were horses that just made me shake my head in wonder, as I
would not have cared to have ridden them out of the barn.

If one person sold one horse for say, $50,000 or more, does that really
cover the costs of all the other horses they bred, trained and
campaigned that sold for $1500-2500? Or whatever? Is it a once in a
lifetime sell, or is there some breeders who consistently sell very high
dollar mounts? Is there money in breeding for endurance or not?

Across the industry (not speaking about endurance here) most of these
high-dollar sales are like the tip of a pyramid, in which the breeders
also have a "base" of cheap horses that are sold for killer prices or
given away.  Their averages are sometimes not all that spiffy, when one
really looks at all those $500 colts that go along with it.  With the
endurance market, there is a much more consistent market, in my
experience--while none of them sell for what they likely should, one
doesn't have to just give decent ones away, either.  And that market has
stayed fairly consistent throughout the "crash" of the "industry."  Good
riding horses have always sold, even if not for what they should.  As for
there being money in breeding for endurance--no, I don't think a person
would make a living at it, but yes, a person can at least recoup enough of
one's expenses to make it an affordable thing to do.

That said, I will reiterate what I've said in previous posts--breeding
"programs" should be about the long-term production of horses that are
sound, sane riding horses, and as such, it is a bit of a misnomer to state
that many of us "breed for endurance" even though that is what our horses
do best and where most of our market is.  That is where I differentiate
between "breeders" and "producers"--it is a bit of a semantic thing, but
there IS a different concept between the two.  The latter's goal is the
immediate next generation, and as such, there are even different breeding
strategies that might be utilized, with crossing different lines, etc.
But if one's goal is the long-term health of a breeding program, one also
has to consider with EVERY mating the possible implications three and four
and more generations down the road.  One has to be first and foremost
producing the breeding stock with the QUALITIES to perform, so that one
can still be "producing" riding stock ten and twenty years from now.  To
that end, one often does ride one's breeding stock, and one also
"overbreeds" (not to be confused with "overbreeding" in the overpopulation
sense) so that there are those to remain in the program and those to be
marketed in riding horses.  This is the sort of philosophy to which I was
alluding in the post previous to this which was so misconstrued by one
specific party.  The "producer" who is aiming each mating at marketing a
foal has an entirely different approach to breeding than the long-term
"breeder" who is first concerned with keeping the quality of the overall
program intact for many generations down the line, but is also a
"producer" in the sense that once the choices for breeding stock have been
made, the remaining horses need to be of a quality that represents the
program well under saddle (in this case, endurance, for the most part).

I personally could never be a breeder to sell. I think I could do a good
job of producing fine horses, but I could never let them go. However, if
there was a way to make all the money I keep hearing about, I might give
it a go. I think the horse is always worth more to the seller than to
the buyer. Naturally.

It IS hard to let them go.  Which is one reason why I am sometimes a bit
chary of selling overseas.  One of the rewards to the breeder is watching
one's "kids" out there with a whole host of different riders, going down
the trail, chalking up the mileage, earning placements and year-end
awards, etc.  Although it doesn't make us a living, they do pay us back
enough to keep doing it, and that feeling of having CREATED that 10,000
mile horse, or that horse that earned a fastest time on a multiday, or
that horse that Top Tenned at Tevis, or whatever, is right up there on par
with spending thousands of dollars to get to the point of completing a
100-mile ride for a T-shirt, but having the satisfaction of having DONE
IT!  And the riding doesn't pay the bills at all, whereas the breeding at
least has a reasonable payback.

I would also like to add that a pre-purchase is not meant to tell you
what your horse can or can't do. It is meant to point out to the
prospective owner conformation flaws and potential problems like heart
murmurs. The buyer can then make a more educated decision about buying
the horse. It is possible that a vet not familiar with endurance would
look at a little tiny Arab and tell someone there is no way that pony
can ride in mountains and do 100 mile rides. Who's to say? But a
competent vet can tell you that for his size he does have nice feet,
strong cannon bones, a deep girth and that the heart and lungs sound
great! And that is what you, the buyer wanted to hear! The pre-purchase
exam is not meant to be an elimination process, but rather an
educational one.

Well stated!

My blacksmith says we (Americans) produce the best Arabs in the world.

Your blacksmith is right--which is why it continually amazes me that the
breeders of so many of the "high profile" horses seem to think that they
have to import horses from somewhere else to top-cross to all our good
mares.  I learned my lesson back in the 70s going around to the show
barns, and coming to the realization that the only ones I'd care to take
home and ride were the good old "American" broodmares out in the
pasture... <sigh>  The only other country that comes close is Australia,
IMO--and they are now starting down the same primrose path that American
breeders did 20+ years ago.  Meanwhile, their "old colonial" sorts of
horses (very much like the various "preservation" groups here) have been
cleaning up all over the world in endurance--in fact, I'd wager that the
UAE is now buying more horses there than here, simply because they can
FIND more of those sorts of horses for sale there now--or at least, one
doesn't have to sort through as many horses to find them....

Heidi