Re: [RC] Wanted: Feedback on GPS routes and maps only for BH 100 - Truman Prevatt

Probably would require special sanctioning. It would be a non starter for me.

Truman

Karen wrote:
OK.
I have several friends who say we should just give up marking the BH
traditionally, cause it's a continuing nightmare and almost impossible
for
our tiny group to do.  They say I should just publish the GPS
waypoints,
maps on  TOPO!, and have the routes available to download onto
rider's
GPS's at the ride and be done with it.  Having ridden "the
Duck's" XPs
with nothing by GPS, I think that's dandy, but I'm afraid it will cause
total mutiny and threaten our sanctioning even further???  What do
y'all
think?
Cindy

Hi Cindy:  I don't see anything wrong with it, it's just another special consideration like lots of other rides have various types of.  Not every type of ride is suited for every type of rider, and as long as it was advertised as such it wouldn't be a surprise.  People that understand that this may be needed to keep the ride alive would deal with it, and those that hated the idea could go to a different ride or stay home.  I think having to follow a GPS and/or written directions versus a trail marked the traditional method is just as much fun and another type of a challenge.  I can't remember ever hearing anybody complain about using a GPS on the long XP's (well, maybe Trilby <g>).  You are only attracting a small # of riders as it is, and if it would help get more people to come to the ride because they would be assured of accurate markings that could not be sabotaged then why not try it?  I know I would be more open to doing the ride, as it is now I have to admit to being a bit leery of going that far to do a ride that might not be marked well enough to enable me to finish.  You would need to make sure that the riders had the correct type of GPS's (maybe get/borrow a couple of extras?) and remind people to change their batteries and carry extra batteries with them, since a lot of GPS units (my III+ for example) would stop working after 12 hours or so, and would work for even less amount of time if I were using the backlight on it in the dark.  One problem you would also have to consider is that if there is a storm with heavy cloudcover and/or you are in heavily treed canyons the signal could be iffy.  I have followed trail with GPS markings on other Duck rides in those conditions just fine.  I have an external antenna.  As you know, following a trail marked with a GPS (via routes and waypoints) is real easy to do.

Karen
in NV

P.S.  both of my GPS's are in Guernsey, Nebraska today.  At least they are getting to do the ride! <g>  (with Dave Rabe, he's the only one who has been riding every day -- GO DAVE!!)

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."