Re: [RC] [RC] Horse Buying/Selling - SandyDSA

In a message dated 7/20/2004 8:58:39 AM Pacific Standard Time, lif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
True that mere cost doesn't make them any better, but when they *are*
better and they do cost more, it's disheartening that people still want to
pay 10 cents on the dollar.
Indeed it can and a lot of times does, if in fact those extra dollars are invested in quality care - farrier, vet and feed. It does make a big difference. As in everything, not in all cases, but "should logic be invoked", clearly more dollars devoted to timely hoof care, appropriate vaccinations, etc., and the best feed at the proper time - well, just like people, we are healthier, more productive, etc. I would rather pay more money for a horse whose quality care is demonastrated and even documented than buy one for half price with those factors unknown or worse yet - demonstrably lacking.  There is to us, in the end, an assumption that if one is nickel and diming down the price, I can only imagine what kind of ongoing commitment and ability to provide care there might be. As I had to explain to one person who wanted to buy our new colt - as gently as I could - owning a horse, any horse, let alone a very nice one will cost money, and is a priviledge, nto a right. I cannot and will not cut my prices on a fine colt to accomodate a wallet that I have concerns about, aside from the costs I have into the colt, are my concerns about their sense of financial reality.  Yes, costs do matter.