From: "Lynne Glazer" <anyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Jody Rogers-Buttram" <dragnin100@xxxxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2004 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Horse Buying

Interesting reading everybody's POV.

I personally don't believe a quality horse can reach riding age without
costing its breeder somewhere in the neighborhood of $3K!  So if you're
breeding a horse that originally cost you $425, if you'd added up what
you put into each baby from prenatal-5 years, you might be surprised as
long as each baby is getting good vet, hoof, parasite and dental care.

The horses I've bought for this sport have been 1 week, 5 months, and 2
years of age.  The last two were, yeah, bought sight unseen with right
of refusal, and yeah, no vet checks.  I knew the seller raised quality
horses and would refund the money if they weren't as advertised.  I
want to keep the breeders of the good preservationist bloodlines
producing, and will continue to recommend that others do too.  Breeders
who lose money (most of the time) won't be there when I need that next
good horse.  (I do agree with pre-purchase exams on older/competing
horses if there's not a relationship with the seller.)

That said, I did breed one horse, this year.  Just because the mare and
stallion seemed to be a perfect cross, and IMO got the perfect baby out
of them, though breeding can be quite a crapshoot, this is a
forever-horse (for me, maybe not others' cup of tea).

Roger, hope you heal quickly!

Lynne
looking out at Remember Me, Celesteele and Twilight Ablaze (Twix) 3
months old