Re: [RC] Horse Buying - Jody Rogers-Buttram

That's a good point that you brought out... I paid very little for a young, not baby we are talking 3 or better yr. old verses the big price paid for a similiar or older horse.  Now, true there was a gamble on the original horse.  But for the price, how could you go wrong?  The ones I did buy from someone else and they DIDN'T work out... those are the ones I had to try and get my money out of.  Some I did, some I didn't.  But, of all the ones that I have raised, I have kept. They have all been good horses, that went on to win rides for me.  Like I said, I have just been blessed with the line that I have.  I am lucky to have found it, and will remain loyal to it.  I know... you get what you pay for... but in this case, with my horses, I have gotten more...maybe from the fact that I made them...not bought them.

Jody and  ALL the Jet girls
Lif Strand <lif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 02:43 PM 7/18/2004, Jody Rogers-Buttram wrote:
>This is why I like to raise my own replacements. Your right Roger, buying
>and paying a lot for an endurance prospect is a big deal. I personally
>can't afford to pay the 3k and up for a horse.

As a person who was (no longer am) breeding horses for distance
riding/competition for about 20 years, I do have a bit of a disagreement
with your position. Let's say you decide to breed your own. Let's say it
only costs you $75/month to care for a horse - an incredibly low amount -
and that includes feed, farrier, worming, shots and everything, and you do
your own training.

Mare pregnant one year: $900
Foal fed through 3 yrs: $2700
Total cost to beginning of foal's 4th year: $3600

Now you've already paid out more than you said you'd be willing to pay for
someone else's horses - but you don't have a guaranteed endurance horse
anyway. Some foals just don't grow up to be endurance horses, no matter
how good the sire and dam. So instead of having a choice among horses that
look like good prospects, maybe have even done a ride or more, you're stuck
with a horse that isn't suitable.

If there were guarantees that every foal from a great mare and a great
stallion would be a great horse too, everyone who was into breeding would
be rich. When it comes to genetics, nothing is simple.

>the way I see it, if the horse was that good, why would they sell him.

Maybe they are in the business of breeding endurance horses. Maybe there
are rider health issues, or financial issues, or they have one horse too
many, or... or... Just because something is for sale doesn't mean it isn't
any good.

> I have found it a lot easier to get my money out of a $1000 horse verses
> a 2K or more horse.

Hah - now me, I'd wonder why someone was selling a horse for so cheap when
I know it costs more than that to raise and train. I'm the other way
around when it comes to suspicion and mistrust - underpricing raises lots
of questions in my mind!