Re: [RC] Impacted Intestine - Susan_Bothern

Susan, my feelings are with you.  We just had to put down our Annie (considerably older than your gelding) Saturday evening.  It's a very rough decision.  For her the quality of life was the issue we faced.  We simply did not feel that Annie could have sustained the trip to the vet school, the surgery, nor the recovery.  I have known of 2 horses who have been through colic surgery and have gone on to very productive lives.  It it's simply an impacted intestine a diet change may be all that is needed.  What are you feeding him -- be specific including type of feed and amounts?  Hay -- type and amount.  Beet pulp -- again how much.  Maybe we can help you here.  If you aren't feeding beet pulp consider it.  Impactions happen b/c of lack of water (usually).  Beet pulp is wonderful for keeping a horse's gut hydrated.

Susan