[RC] Impacted Intestine - Susan Bookout

My 14-year old gelding has impacted intestines and is in considerable discomfort. (He just went into retirement from endurance, poor guy.) The vet has been out and oiled him and given him shots for the pain. (He's still in pain.) He was hydrated so we are waiting on giving him intervenous fluids. Any suggestions?

I'm fairly new to horses. Anyone have any thoughts on surgery? He wasn't an expensive horse and I don't have a lot of money (not many people with horse do, do they?), but I love the guy.