Re: [RC] feeding for the cold weather (Susan G?) - heidi

roughage has always been my feed of choice to help them stay warm in
winter.  i might question whether alfalfa pellets would give the
roughage  since it is not long fibers anymore???  i've not fed beet pulp
but i would  think the unpelleted form (soaked of course and hot water
might be  appreciated!) would not be as efficient as the unprocessed
(shredded)  form????  again, longer fibers.

If the horse has decent dentition, the fibers are no longer long by the
time they hit the hindgut...  Perhaps Susan might have more to say on the
matter, but fiber is still fiber, even if it is already "pre-chewed" to
make into a pellet.

Alfalfa pellets also still have the protein, which helps with warmth.

BTW, our elderly gents with poor/missing teeth that live on soaked "mash"
diets seem to do just fine with a combo of alfalfa pellets and beet pulp
soaked as their "fiber source."

the other thing in cold weather that our horses appreciate is warm water
 twice a day, at least in the morning.  they always drink more if the
water  is warmed up.  if you have to travel a ways to your horse you can
transport  a bucket of hot (cools some intransit) water in a cooler,
offer it while it  is warm.  keeping the horses drinking in cold weather
is important to avoid  constipation and colic caused by blockage.

Yes, water intake is really important.  I'm eternally grateful to finally
have most of the horses on automatic waterers--although the water is not
"hot" it is still about the temp that it comes out of the well (somewhere
in the 50s) and it sure "feels" warm when you stick your finger into it on
sub-zero days.  And although the twice-a-day warm water sure helps, I
think it is even more ideal to have a somewhat-warm water source available
all the time.

Heidi