[RC] Remedy for mishapen saddle fit on horse - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Laura T lit@xxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You need to go to a professional saddle fitter.  They can custom stuff any
english (or that is stuffable) type saddle.  Do not go to a saddle sales
person.  Find a good reputable saddle fitter.  They deal with this issue all
the time.  I bet they could even shim a western saddle too.  Or at least the
guy here in our area could.

When I was having my Arabian Saddle Company Solsitice checked for fit 6 months
after I had bought it - which it was a perfect fit he said - you get to hear
interesting "saddle tales".  One horse in particular was a 4th level dressage
horse who had his right side as a wide width, and the left side was a medium
width.  He was a huge 17HH giant of a horse too, my horse  is only a 14.2HH.
But nevertheless, he is a horse.  The saddle fitter stretched, and then custom
stuffed the saddle to fit this huge horse.  The fitter will measure your horse,
and explain to you about his conformation and can recommend a saddle that will
fit YOU and your horse together as a team.

I was recommended the Solstice and another saddle which I can't remember the
name but it was an english type saddle.  I wrote down the info on what saddle
my horse would fit in, and what I would fit in.  I called and ordered the
Solstice and it fit perfectly right out of the box.  It was recommended by one
fitter and then another fitter checked it to make sure it was a perfect fit,
and it was.  So there was a consistency in saddle fitters.  I was riding my
horse in a medium width saddle, and he needed a wide.  Big difference.  Solved
all my saddle rubs on my body.

Before going to a saddle fitter, I just bought a custom made to fit one.  Did
not fit worth a darn.  Sent it back.  I took careful measurements, and it was
as if the saddle was made for somebody else's horse, and not for me either.
There was no way they could have EVER been able to refit the custom saddle to
this horse.  There were too many problems.  The Solsitice fit right out of the
box!  The custom one didn't.

The only way IMO for you to fit your horse is to go to a custom saddle fitter.
Not a saddle dealer, seller or whatever.  Or else, you can always ride in a
bareback pad.

Hope you have a happy ending to your saddle woes,
Laura T