Re: [RC] newbie, not knowing if I should start riding - Kristen A. Fisher

Hi Sally -

I think the biggest concern would be how will he adapt to the camp
environment. How do you plan to contain him and will he remain contained?
People use portable panels, trot lines, and electric tape fences. I have
personally known horses to get out of every one (either seen them running or
had to catch them when it got light) -- and I have only been to 4 rides.  At
one, a stallion got loose and of course went after a mare which pisses
people off ;-)  I haven't seen anyone using the "Hi-Tie" system but maybe
that works OK. Ours stay on a trot line and are fine (although one got loose
before I was part of the group when he burned through his line pacing - so
now we tie to a metal loop on the line - less friction).

Every sex of horse will holler all day if left alone (even mine who never
makes a peep at home) and some just for the hell of it. Red ribbons in the
tail indicate "kicker" and those aren't restricted to stallions either. Do
you ride with other people, and how does he get along with other horses?
Would you have to ride alone, can you control him, and do you feel
comfortable doping so?

Those are the 2 big issues I think - can you comfortably control him under
saddle, and keep him contained when not under saddle. If you can say yes to
both, I say give it a shot!

Kristen in TX