Re: [RC] poker ride - Barbara McCrary

Patty, one of the most fun trail rides I have ever done was an obstacle ride, although it takes a number of personnel to manage it.  Lay out a nice trail, say about 20 miles, with lots of different possibilities for obstacles.  You can also add obstacles, such as a trailer to load the horse into, a smelly old animal hide to hang on a tree, a sack full of tin cans with a long rope (or similar) handle, etc.  The riders set their own pace, but each obstacle has a set time limit, such as 30 seconds, more or less, depending on the obstacle.  If the horse accomplishes the obstacle in less than the allotted time, he gets one point per second, if he runs overtime, the allotted time is doubled, and if he refuses, the time is tripled.  The score starts with 0 and the horse with the least overall number of points is the winner.  This ride could be a money-raising venture with paid entry fees, or it could be just a fun thing.  If your trail area offers natural obstacles, such as a river-swim, that could be included.  If interested, e-mail me and I can describe more obstacles that I experienced.  You need a timer on in ingoing and out-going side of each obstacle.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
From: patty bass
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2004 8:05 PM
Subject: [RC] poker ride

hellos,
i'm having a group of  people ogether for a trailride and i want to put a little something different into it. has anyonw heard of a Poker ride, where the riders try to get the best hanc of Poler? i don't know how it is set up as i've never ridden one, just heard about it. or any other fun thing that  any of you want to tell about for group trailrides. is there a scavenger hunt on horseback?
thanks
Patty Bass
Watkins home business opportunity http://www.tsginfo.com/index.php?rc=PB4364
click to see Hidden Treasure  in Tennessee http://pattybass_1.tripod.com/dreams