[RC] California Trails Conference - Jeannie Gillen

With "poop patrol"..."continued access" to public lands (i.e. horses being left out of federal trail grants, because some bureaucrats don't consider them transportation)... "sharing trails" with other uses, specifically bicyclists, etc.... I thought this would be a good time to remind you all that the California State Trails Conference is scheduled for March 25-28 in historic Folsom California. We have scheduled it there this year specifically to accommodate horses, there are 30 miles of MULTI-USE trails for you to enjoy.  In the past, these Conferences easily accommodated bicyclist and hikers but not horses.....As the Equestrian member of the State Trails Committee, that was my first request.  I think that, coupled with the 3 people that showed up at last year's Conference in Tahoe WITH HORSES (and no place to put them) has helped them realize they need to accommodate us......

Sooooo, please send someone from your organization, club, group or riding community to the Conference to demonstrate our interest and affect on trails....past, present and future. Go to
I am also on the B.O.D. for The California Trails and Greenways Foundation. We are granting a $500.00 scholarship for Conference Attendance this year...If you are, or know of, an equestrian representative that would be an asset to the conference and can't afford to go.....e-mail me

Also, I will be on an Equestrian-Bicyclist Panel, and will appreciate your input about sharing trails....I, for one, have been very impressed with the "odd-even" days policy at several parks where sharing just hasn't worked....speed, spookey horses, blind curves, steep terrain....This policy provides that "horses can be on all trails every day...Bikes can be on trails on the even days of the month, i.e.2,4,6,etc." This gives people the option of sharing or not sharing....and still meets the public land use requirement for sharing of resources aka trails.......

I welcome and value your thoughts and opinions....I hope some of you will get involved......

Happy Trails,   Jeannie Gillen