Re: [RC] Sled Dogs and Endurance riders - Kristene Smuts

It is sickening.  It has quotes from a person........>>

As in all sport, and as we've experienced with our beloved sport, there are
huge misconceptions about what we do "to" our animals.

I'm from South Africa where it snows only on the very high mountain tops, so I
would probably never sit on a sled, ever, but the sport interested me and I
also heard about all the abuse.  I then embarked on a "fact finding mission" -
the number of books I've read on the subject are starting to rival my horse
education books and my bookmarks for websites are in the double digits.

The only difference between sled racing and endurance racing (!) is that they
are very open about what happens in their sport - we're not.  We tend to hush
up the incidents and hope they'll go away.  Their history runs parallel to
ours.  In the beginning they didn't have any vets, now they have vets at every
stop.  They have compulsory timed lay-overs at certain parts of the trail.
Every dog death is thoroughly investigated and the musher is dealt with
accordingly.  As with our animals, stuff happens and not every death is caused
by the musher.  The dog being kicked to death was a real incident and I have
the book, written by Gary Paulsen, that describes that event and what happened
afterwards.  A very spiritual book, IMO.

Please don't point a finger at any other "abusive" sport until you've educated
yourself about that sport.

BTW, those books on the Iditarod and the Yukon races are truly inspirational -
talk about endurance!!!!  Boy, those guys are tough!

Kristene
South Africa