RE: [RC] To Limit or not to limit the number of rides - Jim Holland

Jody, as someone who has "been to war" with AERC over the horse welfare
issue, I understand your concern and share that.  I hope riders like Jim
Holbrook will continue to share their grief with us to help others temper
their competitive spirit with a genuine concern for the welfare of the
horse.  "There but for the grace of God",go any of us if we lose sight of
that. If you don't put the welfare of your horse above everything else, we
don't need you in this sport.

I urge you to continue to write letters to the BOD, but please be patient.
We have come a long way in the last couple of years. What was once a
contentious issue has now become a "strategic direction" because of people
like Mike Maul, Mike Tomlinson, and Dr. Jim Baldwin, who "calls 'em as he
sees 'em".  I love his Vet Committee Reports.  My kinda guy!

We have a Horse Welfare Committee, which is doing an excellent job.  I urge
the BOD to PLEASE make this committee a permanent part of AERC. Their
session was packed at the last Convention, and the concern by our membership
was obvious to everyone. They were so "on top of this", even an outspoken
"Type A" like me had nothing to say....but I got tears in my eyes and a
"warm fuzzy" about the future of our sport from the people on this
committee. If you get the chance, TELL them how much you appreciate their
hard work.

The next step is to start penalizing riders for overriding their horse.  For
example, monitoring the number of metabolic pulls within a given period and
severe sanctions for the death of a horse where the rider is found to be
negligent.

We are GETTING there.....perhaps not fast enough to suit everyone...but the
BOD is working on it.  Give 'em a chance....but KEEP PUSHING! AERC should
set the standard for everyone else....and I think we can do that.

Inertia is the enemy here.  Thanks for a good post.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic-