Re: [RC] [RC] Horse Trailer disappointment - Magnumsmom

When comparing gooseneck trailers, make sure to look at the way the gooseneck
hitch is connected to the trailer.  You want to see the "I" beams radiating back
from the gooseneck hitch all the way back to the trailer box.  The less expensive
(and some "same price") trailers use a standard bulldog hitch applied to a plate
which is then welded to the bottom of the gooseneck.

What happens the hitch and plate option if your rig stops short?  (This can
happen if you are, say, driving along a dirt road into a ride camp and get into
sand.)  The trailer can rip loose from the hitch.  If that happens, the gooseneck
will hit the cab of your truck.   If *that* happens...

Sundowner uses "I" beams back from the hitch to the trailer box.  Kiefer (and
atleast one other "top" brand) uses the welded plate to the bottom of the
gooseneck.  That's how they got the cost down, and that alone steered me
away from Kiefer.  Sundowner also powder coats the entire hitch assembly
and "I" beams in their factory.

The difference in price between comparable trailers made by Sundowner and
Kiefer was about $2K.  That's $2K well spent to me.  Pllus, you get a lot more
for your $2K... like the floors now being sprayed under the mats.  Just FYI, not
that I've been able to afford my bare bones Sundowner yet...

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM