[RC] XP Adventure- Team Estrogen checking in 7/15 - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: LAURA HAYES HAYES@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

HI!!!!!!

Here is something I sent last week but did not go through- just got back to my
email and it said it was rejected, so I copied it....it was written 7/10

Ridecampers-

I have been trying to get back to you for DAYS, but we are in the middle of no
where most of the time. I feel badly that I haven't even gotten to Libby to
tell her how well Fly is doing, so Lib, here you are - Fly is great, and has
gained tons of wt and has three 50s under her girth, including a win and BC,
and a second!

We just finished our third week of XP - just two more and I am already dreading
the end. This is the best adventure yet!!

We rode through WY this week and are now camped in the South Pass Historic Area
and riding from one camp for a few days- is seems wierd not to move every day
and it almost seems like we don't have enough to do if we don't pack up and
take off, then unpack every day!! I am glad I have a portable pen and the girls
are happy to rotate in and out of it to roll and lay down unencumbered by a
rope.

We rode as a group up over Sioux Pass yesterday- Dave Nicholson leading the way
with GPS and topo maps- no definate trails- what a ride- up and down, over
boulders and jumping narrow deep creeks!! We had a ball and all spread out
after lunch to finish the last half along good trails using our GPS for
navigation. It was definately the most fun I have ever had at a ride!

All of the horses are doing well- most of them holding weight and staying
sound. A few people have headed home, but most of us who planned on riding to
Nebraska are still at it. One thing I found is that we are not suffering from
scratches and other skin problems that they encountered in 2001. I have a case
of Desitin and used very little, and then as a sunblock for Fly's pink nose.

My mares are doing well, Allure, who stepped right up to the plate, has done
150 miles, Fly 150 and Equal Terms has 100.

Gotta go- the library in Lander lets you use the machine for only a bit- More
later-

Laura and Team Estrogen

end of 7/10 message>>>

July 15--Casper WY

Hi gang!

I just read Cindy Collins' message and she is right- we are a family.  I am
amazed every day at the friendship and caring we have established as a group.
My birthday was Tuesday, and besides riding John Parke's wonder pony, Skjoldur
(I think I misspelled that- but the smaller, pinto one that is not Remington!)
I was sung Happy Birthday to, at least three times by groups- once as I was
leaving in the morning, once as we rode into the vet check., and at the ride
meeting.  There were unexpected presents and good spirits all around.  My crew,
20 year old son Bryan and his friend Jamie, and 13 year old niece, Carly, made
me a cake and framed two pictures - one of the bunch of us in front of a pony
monument and one of Allure and I.  Good kids, for sure.  I can not imagine a
better way to turn 44.

The trails are awsome- we spent four days in South Pass riding loops and they
were absolutely stunning.  On Mon we had our lunch stop at the top of a butte
high above where we had just ridden.  As riders were leaving you could see them
for miles making their way between and then on top of, another butte.  Every
day I make a point to thank Dave Nicholson for the chance to ride.  The time
and effort that went into this endeavor is staggering.  We follow GPS waypoints
for 50 miles each day and have never been sent wrong yet.  He had to have
studied every inch of this trail to program those waypoints and do the
corresponding maps and written descriptions.  THIS IS ENDURANCE!!!

Speaking of which----we are doing the 50 miles in anywhere from 8.5-12 hours.
Yesterday four riders finished in 10 hours and our group of four were done in
almost 12.

The very best part of all this is that not one horse has ever been treated.  My
Equal Terms needed a shot of banamine for a mild colic and she is the only one.
Despite intense heat, hard trail and day after day, there has never been a
horse jugged.  We are into our third week,---650 miles with 10 - 28 horses
going every day- that is alot of miles.  This is a knowledgable and caring
group and I am proud to be a part of it.

Since the start I have ridden Allure 200  miles, Fly 200 miles, Skjordur 50,
and Equal Terms 100.  I am not going to ride E again as I am nervous about the
colic....we are thinking she may have a bladder stone that gets irrated with
work. I will get her  home and have it checked out.

The wildlife, the scenery, the company----It is all SUPERB!!

Don't let Cindy Collins fool you, she is plenty tough!!  I rode with her
several days and elected Sagebrush Nellie and Cindy honorary members of Team
Estrogen!!  Her gelding Jack too!! Thanks Cindy, for the memories!!!

With only 6 more riding days left, I am already sad! I'll try to write more
later!!

Happy Trails!

Laura and the girls!