Re: [RC] AHA Becomes AERC Platinum Sponsor - SandyDSA

Having been a mamber for about 28 years :), I think, hope and even believe this can be a good thing. Let's NOT forget in our excitement that for right now, we ARE different from the rank and file of what AHA stands for, and so the integration process needs to be done in a way that we don't lose endurance as a sport, only to become either a beauty contest or politics at play. Bill and Mary ann Hughes are long time friends of ours, having had our stallion, Sal, in his youth :), and onlybecause they are great people - they and CC trained Sal - and I have the utmost faith that Bill will do right by us - soo let's be clear with AHA about who we are and what we are. I haev had numerous conersations with Mary Ann over the past few weeks, trying to arrange for them to visit Nationals at Warner - they have a bit of a conflict with Arabian NAtionals :) - but we are working on getting them to a ride so as to see what Arabians do best - naturally! This should encourage ALL of us to examine what we do well and what we need work on. I think AERC has provided a great foundation for people who WANT to get into this sport to learn and be both safe and accomplished - that DOESN"T mean coming in first, EVER - but to be....safe and accomplished, given our motto. Personally, I don't think we need MORE rules, but we DO need to be held accountable and to HOLD EACH OTHER ACCOUNTABLE to understanding, obeying and upholding both the letter and the spirit of our rules. I can'thelp thinkin about the silliness of show horses, whose owners are inculcated with the notion that they couldn't possibly ride their own horses, especially if they are NOT in full training, and so they pay HUGE sums of $$ to trainers to enjoy their horses for them:). We, on the other hand, allow anyone who can put foot in a stirrup to compete, bashing into other riders, dehydrating and laming horses, and at times cayusing injury to others. Somewhere in the middle....compelling people who are in essence not just new to endurance but many times new to HORSES to actually learn by coming alongside experience horsemen and women is a great thing - but not just on the backs and dimes of those experienced people. I think many will agree that, while it is with pleasure that we assist people getting started safely, it is unfair  to expect people who have put in the years and miles and have other obligations to VOLUNTEER time on a continual basis to treating new riders to free education.

With this new partnership, how can we put our best - and honest - foot forward? Just food for thought this cloudy morning:)!