Re: [RC] Spooking and punishment - Truman Prevatt

Reminds me of   a mare I used to ride -long since left us. She could find my foot and stomp it in a nanosecond. Her aim was extremely accurate. It wasn't out of spooking - that was an excause. Her real motive was to show me she was unhappy - she was too accurate for it to be an accident - and she didn't like what I was telling her to do.

I never cured it - you couldn't we that stubborn mare. But we did negotiate a truce.  I would not tell her anything but we would" discuss it." After that my toes were safe. Yes a pain in the butt - but she was one of the best horses I've ever had the pleasure to ride. She just had an opinion.  Of course that pretty much describes the female of any species ;-).

Truman

JL Thompson wrote:
Person with the broken toe and smashed feet here....

Even though this thread is pretty much done, I just wanted to clarify.  When my gelding spooks while I'm leading him, he doesn't crash into me, at least not bodily.  What he does is jump, and then land splay-footed in front, kind of crouched and ready for defensive action from the scarey thing.  It's the splay-footed landing that results in his foot stomping my foot.

He has never crashed his whole body into mine.  Just his big ole' clunky feet.  :)

Jennifer

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."