Re: [RC] [RC] Gold Country Awards - Truman Prevatt

This is one of those issues that periodically comes up on ridecamp - similar to LD, dogs, etc. The practice of giving out completion awards at the rider meeting is practiced at some rides. What is the difference in that than giving out completion awards after the ride and then giving the same tee shirts as "hard luck" awards to those that didn't finish?  Would it be all right to hand them out before and say - these are completion awards for those that finish and hard luck awards for those that don't? At all rides I have been to that follows the practice of handing them out at the ride meeting, the finishers were recogonized at the awards ceremony.

I do not see that it is in violation of any rule and I don't think we want our rules to be so nit picky about such things. There are a lot of other issues that impact the "integerty of the sport"  like trails are the advertised distance, there is no trail cutting, vetting is consistent, etc., - after all we do give national awards and regional awards are based on all rides not just the rides in a particular region -  for me to worry much about this "awards" issue.

IMO the ultimate award is a ride manager willing to spend his time and risk his money to run a ride and a well marked trail.  For that we should all be thankful.

I guess if this practice bothers poeple they could vote with their feet or file a protest.

Cheers
Truman

Nancy Mitts wrote:
Truman,
I think you must have missed the beginning of this thread. The issue isn't about whatever extra awards the ride manager gives. The issue is, "Can a ride manager give an award, at entry, to everybody who shows up, INSTEAD of a completion award."
I've been to rides who gave a memento of the ride when you entered, but it was always in addition to a completion award. It's a nice touch, if it fit's in the budget or you can get something donated! It was my understanding from the original posts that in this case the "showing up" award was it, except for placements. With nothing else to distinguish those who actually completed the ride from the ones who just managed to get there.
And, I'm with those who think this should not be the case.

Nancy Mitts

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."