Re: [RC] Gold Country Awards - heidi

Bob, the problem seems to be is I in no way see a ride manager handing
out his extra shirts as a rules infraction. Trail cutting is, a short
trail is, inadaquate vetting is, etc.

Bob is right, Truman--you missed the point here.  An RM can hand out
anything they want--a gold watch for every vet check you pass, a company
pen for filling your entry blank out right, or a special award for middle
aged bald guys.  Or even a participation T-shirt when you sign in.  That's
all fine and dandy--it's frosting on the cake.  But AERC REQUIRES them to
recognize those who complete by handing out a completion award.  Other
than having a BC award available, that is the ONLY award requirement from
AERC.  Not Top Ten, not first in your weight division, not NUTHIN else!
So virtually EVERYTHING else that we sometimes consider "standard" is
really gravy.  But to NOT offer a completion award is a rules infraction.
As it should be--completion is the very core of our sport.

And Bob makes a good point--if we have rules, why is it "ok" to break some
and not others?  That is a rhetorical question--it is NOT "ok" to break
the rules.  The only question is the value of each rule infraction--just
like we pay a small monetary fine for speeding vs the electric chair for
premeditated serial murders.  RMs who do NOT offer completion awards (no
matter how nice it is that they do the other stuff that they do) need to
understand this, and deal with it.  I don't think they are intentionally
being obstreperous--but the problem should nonetheless be rectified.

Heidi