From: Lif Strand <lif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Jul 12, 2004 9:10 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   Spooking and punishment

At 09:13 PM 7/12/2004, Ed & Wendy Hauser wrote:
My feeling is that the invasion of space (which is dangerous, obviously)
trumps the spook.  The rebuke should be instant, effective and short.  A
whip of the lead rope at his nose, a quick slap with a whip carried in the
other hand can be used.  Getting mad usually results in a punishment that
instead of lasting < 1 second, lasts > 30 seconds.  After he no longer
spooks into you, you can start on a program designed to despook, but not
before.

Why I disagree with Ed (with respect to 'true" spooks, even if they involve
invasions of space):

I believe in the Golden Rule when it comes to horses (I do unto them as I
would have done unto me).  I have actually had the experience of walking
down the road and as I was about to step over a (dead) rattlesnake, I saw
it and literally launched myself straight up into the air and to the side,
happened to smash into the person I was walking with.  It was a totally
involuntary response - I was as surprised as my friend that I had done
that. I'm still amazed that I could get myself airborn like that!

I've had people talk to me when I wasn't expecting it and spilled my coffee
in surprise.  The coffee goes where it will - sometimes on the person who
surprised me.

I've reached out to grab something and felt something
furry/fuzzy/moving/slimy/wrong and snatched my hand back without even
thinking about it.  My hand has then smacked into other things - generally
resulting in a black and blue bruise on my hand, but maybe a black and blue
bruise on another person if they were close enough.

One time I had my head poked under a desk and someone was kneeling next to
me with her head poked next to mine trying to see as well, and I I saw
something move (or thought I did) and I jerked back and smacked into her
head with mine.  Ouch!

These are all examples of things that have happened to me that could be
called spooking.  I can tell you that if I was rebuked instantly, whipped
on my nose or quickly slapped for those events just because I invaded
someone's space, I'd get resentful very quickly. Rebuke is for a voluntary
behavior.  Rebuke for an involuntary response seems to me to belong on the
list of Very Bad Ideas.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA