[RC] Gold Country - rides2far

The other alternative is to mail stuff.  I heard that the Gold
Country gave
you a participation award when you checked in.  That is a great
idea.....mb

I won't mail anything. If they want it they can wait, or go dig their
shirt out theirself and go. AERC doesn't mandate a "Participation Award",
they require, in the rules, a COMPLETION award. The word Participation
Award just makes my skin crawl in everything from Little League on up.
It's made "awards" into just ....I dunno...something else to dust that
mean nothing. Why keep all these stupid softball trophies on a shelf if
you know they handed your kid a big one for showing up in a tournament
and getting their butts kicked in the first game?  I treasured every
trophy I ever got...about 10 of them and they're still in my attic. My
girls have literally dozens and they don't even bother to bring them in
from the car when they get home from the event. I hate to think how I'd
have felt at my first 50, which was such a HUGE deal to me to complete,
if they'd tossed me that jacket at sign in and I'd stayed in my chair at
the awards. I went up to get that jacket like it was an academy award.

If you want riders to hang around for the awards, look at the rides where
they do stay.  Why do they stay?  Usually because the awards are set up
in a way to be entertaining, relaxing, and a good chance to socialize.
There's some rides you could hardly make someone leave early, and some
where when you show up and  the manager looks down mumbling the names of
the riders and spending 30 minutes introducing their helpers and you
realize why everyone left early and you're the only one stuck there to
sit through it.  In the Southeast people used to come to the War Eagle
ride just to get to come to Brian Bourne's awards show...and only an
truly desperate person would leave Million Pines before Wes Crowe does
his show.

So long as the rider isn't "over time" I'd wait for the last rider to
come in before I'd start the awards. Doesn't mean I'll wait for them to
have a shower & nap, but I'd wait for them to get in.

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!