[RC] Left Behind Syndrome or What? Help Please - Val Nicoson

Ever since my horse went back to work after a year's
pasture rest...AND healthier than she's ever been...we
have been having a problem.  I'm told this is her just
being a normal, healthy Arab but would like some
feedback from others too.
In noting our past training/conditioning rides since
her return to work this is what I've observed:
She sees most uphill climbs as a means to charge on up
and gets upset (tossing head, lunging/bucking uphill,
etc)...*particularly* if there's horses in front of
her, but only when she's in her "left behind" mood,
otherwise she will trot/walk/canter up as requested.
Observations from this past weekend's conditioning
ride:
There was only us and one other rider.
Going out we followed and she had no problems.
After some time we led for awhile during which time it
was noted that although she is trotting nicely down
the trail, looking around (happily from my
perspective), that she is stress-pooping as well.
Then when we go back to following she starts turning
into a nut case.  By this I mean she collects herself
and jumps anything she can that can easily be trotted
over, has her neck arched with nose tucked, jigs alot,
and *insists* on being up with her buddy.
Yet earlier in the ride we were able to stay back some
and continue on.  Her buddy is alot more athletic than
she and can trot down some hills that I won't let her
do (letting conditions dictate).  Yet other hills she
can.
In addition her naughty behavior can get almost
dangerous.  She acts like a wild or mad woman in her
charges to catch up. Then when she's allowed back in
front she is eagerly trotting along even though she is
still a bit hyper.
So then we turned around to find a trail we had missed
according to the park's map.  She then settled down
and was a good girl again and was for the rest of the
ride.  Of course it helps that we went nearly 20 miles
in 3-1/4 hours as well.
And when we do ride alone...she is fine.
Just trying to figure out how best to manage her in
group situations.  Should I dismount and remount once
she settles (with buddy/buddies completely leaving us
alone), or continue on which we're currently doing,
but like I said it can get dangerous.  We have rode
out with others before and truely gotten left behind.
We just kept on keeping on and finally made it back to
the trailer on our own after a lengthy ride alone.
Sometimes we made it back before the others and other
times we made it back last.
This past weekend I did try several things for the
first time.  It's not often I feel a need to punish
her but think things are getting a bit out of hand
too.
I gave her three separate good jerks on her S-Hack to
get her attention (not all at once) and also whacked
her on the shoulder and but depending upon the offense
committed and which was easier to administer at the
time along the trail.
Any advice appreciated.  Looking at doing our first
25-miler together some time in August if all goes
well.
Thanks for any advice,
Val + Sania

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail