Re: [RC] falling safely - heidi

 If one can tuck and roll
with the fall, so much better, but there will be times when ya will just
land PLOP on the ground and will be glad still to be in one piece.

I guess those landings on the gym floor in self-defense class (yes, we
learned the techniques on a mat, but in the end, we landed on the gym
floor, since in real life, one may well be attacked in such "soft" places
as asphalt parking lots, etc.) must have paid off.  I've parted company
with my horse on several occasions (although not with the frequency that
many folks seem to) and have never been seriously injured.  In fact, the
only times I've been injured beyond just a few bruises and some dented
pride have been times when the horse actually went down, and I wasn't able
to get entirely free.  And even then, I've been in the process of getting
free, so what could have been a matter of being crushed has been instead a
matter of once just the impact of much more weight than mine on a
hard-packed road, once some crushed muscles in my leg (rest of body was
clear when horse somersaulted), and once a badly hyperextended foot
(likewise the only part that got caught).

I've never considered myself to be particularly agile or athletic, but
given the years I've spent in the saddle and the outcome of my falls, I
guess what training I've had in gymnastics and martial arts paid off, even
though it was painfully clear that I'd never be a gymnast or a
particularly talented martial artist...

Heidi