[RC] Falling safely - Carol

Oh my gosh, it sounds so wonderful to be able to fall safely by tucking and rolling. I have dreamed of being able to land like a cat, twisting in mid air and  landing on my feet, but it's never quite worked out that way. I can stay on a horse that's doing mild bucking, but unfortunately, every time I've been bucked off it happened so suddenly and so forcefully that I didn't have the time to grab the pommel or to even think tuck and roll. The first time when I was 15, my greenbroke mustang, that I was riding bareback, straight up the side of a steep levee decided she didn't like all that work and spun around quick and started running and bucking all the way down, I landed on big granite boulders. The second time, I was riding a  supposedly "broke horse" I bought for my daughter, when it started spinning and bucking in a such a tight circle, so fast that the cinch on the brand new saddle broke and sent me flying. The 3rd time I was racing a friend up a hill and when I pulled up on my horse to slow down in a little "s" hackamore, I was trying out on him ( which he obviously didn't like) and he sent me flying about 15 feet. This last time my young (7yr. old) horse was doing great ( no signs of agitation at all ) when out of blue he suddenly did one humongous buck, sending me flying once again.  Don't know if he was stung by a bee, deerfly or if it was just a "happy" buck. Each time it happened so fast and without warning that all I had time to do in that split second before I hit hard dirt, was stick out my arms in hopes of protecting my head and neck from injury. I'd rather have a broken arm than a broken neck. I admire those of you who have mastered the tuck and roll technique, but at my age I don't bounce anymore and doubt if I could even make it through the "tuck and roll training" on asphalt as suggested. A friend of my attached bucking rolls to her saddle and swears they have saved her many a time from being bucked off, and as soon as my arm heals I will probably put those on my saddle. But I will try to remember the tuck and roll technique, next time I get bucked off... ;  )
Hoping to be back in the saddle soon,
Carol