[RC] Tevis-Headlamps - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Bill Taylor wjt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm a guest-lurker-shy person who needs Powdermilk Buscuits to do what has to
be done. I also have not done the Tevis but am on my way from Ohio to give it
my best. Julie Suhr is the reason I'm headed that way and when she calls for
comments I feel the need to oblige. I've visited the trail, run some of it and
look forward to the adventure. I'm relatively new to endurance and my AERC
number only goes back to 1994. I'm a "mature" guy with several former lives.
The Army gave me the opportunity to experiment with various light filters, all
designed and manufactured for our safety by the lowest bidder. Red ones do
allow human eyesight to revert to night vision faster but aren't useful at any
distance. I preferred the green filters for reading maps in helicopters and
messages like " If anything happens to you, can I have your stuff?" When the
helicopter dropped us off and it behooved us to get really quiet and really
small it was amazing how much we could see in the dark when highly motivated.
It's a whole new world at night. When guiding hunters in a roadless wilderness
in Montana, I learned from old timers to trust horses and mules to follow the
trail at night. I lead accomplished executives who weren't afraid of leveraged
buyouts but were reduced to whimpering at the prospect of riding in the dark on
a narrow trail with a bottomless canyon off their stirrup. I often had to
relieve them of their expensive flashights to keep them from trying to "help"
their horse find the trail. If they were afraid of getting brushed,I had them
put their hand on their head with elbow forward so the branches would slide
over their forearm and not hit them in the face. I don't know the exact
recovery period, but light of any color does disorient horses for some time.
Horses have a sense of trail and self preservation that should keep them from
stepping off into the void if we don't drive them there. They also do what we
ask in spite of their better judgement. I've tried to prepare my midwestern
steed for the dark after Foresthill by allowing him to pick his trail in
daylight or dark and not guiding every step. As long as he's headed in the
right direction and between the trees I stay out of his way. We know from
experience that horses pick up signals from us. If we brace, they worry. If we
relax, they relax. I'm eager to learn from folks with experience. When Julie
Suhr and Hal Hall advise us to embrace the dark, I'm inclined to give them
creedance. My ride packet says "No matter what lies ahead for you on your 100
mile trek over the Sierra, riding by the full moon is truly a spiritual
journey-one that you will remember forever." Please don't mess with my
spiritual journey!