Re: [RC] spooking and spinning - Jennifer Layman

This made me laugh, since I have a horse that is part cat.  Not only in her ability to move out from under me in a flash, but in her attitude... nervous and opinionated.  I am sure on her spookiest days she is doing it in protest to me.  This mare came to me this way at  11years of age.  I doubt I will ever dee spook her.  However, I have figured somethings out that work well.

I ride alone a lot.  She tends to pay more attention to me, and we build a stronger bond.  She is very strong so I use to just work her harder when she was spooky (more hills, longer, etc).  This just backfired on me.  She is really telling me to give her a break.  Now I am careful to be sure her schedule has easy fun rides and occasional buddy rides.
This mare also does it out of boredum.  I never ride the same trail two days in a row and I haul away from home when I can.  I put up with this because for some reason on the endurance trail she never spooks.  She is all busness.  At home there are definitely days...

Jennifer, & Sam Sam (often refered to Damn Damn)

larry Miller <jcmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just try to read your horse the best that you can.  Maggie is a pro at spinning and leaping sideways.  She has dumped me half a dozen times by doing this.   Most of the time she is truly scared, a couple of times she was p.o'd. at me and decided to show me so.  I don't think one can ever despin the horse.  But one can be and should be aware all the time of one's surroundings.  And if not certain, the right handed death grip on the horn or the pommel helps immensely.  Jeanie

Do you Yahoo!?