Re: [RC] sane future for spooky arab?? - Chris Paus

Hi Ann Marie...

There are a few things to keep in mind. My
reintroductin to Arabs after a long hiatus with stock
horse breeds was Star, aka, Starman, a  bay gelding,
no registration, from Okla.

Much later, after I bought him, I found out the horse
trader laughed all the way to the bank thinking she'd
sold me an unrideable horse.

Well, he darn near was at first. He wasn't mean or
anything. Didn't buck or bite or kick. but he could do
a drop shouldered spin on a dime. He leaped 6  feet
sideways completely airborn over everything..
mailboxes, rustling grass, and ANYTHING white. His
biggest fear was boats. Of course our local trails
follow a lake shore so we hear lots of boats and jet
skis.

The first year I had this horse, I fell off 11 times!
I finally figured out I had to ride as fast as he
could go.

I did lots of rides with a good friend who had an
unflappable retired polo pony. Emma kept Star in check
and calmed and soothed him. So, ride with a friend if
you can, preferably on a been there, done that horse.

Do lots and lots of ground work and slow easy work in
places where your horse is comfortable. Spend a lot of
time getting to know each other. Build his confidence
in you. Horses like yours and Star need to have
absolute confidence in their riders. As they learn to
trust us, their own confidence and sense of
accomplishment grows and you can see them mature
mentally.

Don't be in a hurry to compete. I competed on Star
only 3 months after I got him. I should have waited a
year. As a result of my haste, we spent the first two
seasons doing rides up and down and sideways, both of
us wasting a lot of energy.

After that, I took a few months off and did some basic
dressage lessons for myself and sent Star back to
kindergarten with the dressage trainer. When we went
back to competition the next spring, I got lots of
compliments on my "new" horse. I had better balance
and more confidence as a rider, and Star gained
abilities he didn't know he had.

I know there were Central Region riders taking bets on
the fat lady with the crazy horse about whether we'd
make it. We now are in our  8th season together and
he's 17 getting better and better  (and finally
growing up some)

Remember also, you need to keep an Arabian's mind and
feet busy. They are smart and when they are bored,
they think up stuff to do to amuse themselves, often
at your expense. This is where I've found a heart rate
monitor helpful. I can tell from that whether Star
truly is alarmed about something or just being a
goofball. If his heart rate shoots up, I take time to
soothe him and get him past whatever is scary. If he's
just being a chump, he gets scolded and we go on.

This is a long story to tell you there is no quick
fix. No magic bridle or saddle. It takes lots of wet
saddle blankets. Lots of encouragement and praise.
Admonishment when appropriate, and your nerves of
steel!

A horse like Star has been a challenge, but he has
taught me more than all the other horses I've known in
40 some years of horse ownership. I HAD to step up to
the plate and become a better horsewoman if I was
going to keep riding him. I THOUGHT I knew a lot about
horses til I got him. He humbled me pretty darn
quickly. The horses who have come into my life since
have benefitted from the things I've learned from
Star.

I'm a firm believer that every horse has its gift to
give you. It's up to you to find that gift.

Good luck!

chris

Oh, P.s. not ALL Arabs are spooky. I have an 8YO
gelding who is the epitome of calm and quiet. My 4YO
mare who is just in training, has the makings of also
a calm and easy going horse if I handle her right. My
21YO stallion also is calm and easy going and pretty
unflappable about spooky stuff.

--- Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Please Reply to: Ann Marie Mahar
annmmahar@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a new 5 year old arab that has been ridden
for less than a year.  He has come along nicely but
is so scared of common obstacles that we must face,
riding on dirt roads in rural Vermont (cars, trucks,
bikes, tractor equipment, 4 wheelers, dogs).  This
is my first full arab and I am beginning to question
the safety of him when we come across something that
blows his mind and his fear overwhelms him- he tries
to bolt by tucking his rear down.  Things such as
large trucks, tractors, bikes, 4 wheelers, etc.
would be too much for him.  Since I must ride on
these roads, our neighbors are very supportive of
driving slowely, but as we all know there are "the
other nonhorse savy people" who don't slow down.  My
question is, will he become more confident in time,
and begin to handle these things in stride like my
previous morgan did, or will he always be a nervous
wreck?  I feel that I am a good rider but also know
bad things do happen, and I don't want a nasty
accident to happen to me!  As a new mother I can't
afford this, especially now!
Thanks for all of your insights!

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus