Re: [RC] sane future for spooky arab?? - Lif Strand

At 06:21 PM 7/9/2004, Ridecamp Guest wrote:
I have a new 5 year old arab that has been ridden for less than a year. He has come along nicely but is so scared of common obstacles that we must face, riding on dirt roads in rural Vermont (cars, trucks, bikes, tractor equipment, 4 wheelers, dogs).

For an Arabian (a breed that matures slowly both mentally and physically) five years old with less than a year under saddle is pretty green in my book, unless your horse has had a *super* amount of training. In your horse's case, since he is scared, he's telling you it's too much, too soon no matter what training he has, and I'd pay attention to that and respect that. I'd do much more work with him in a safe place, as Jim said, putting in a *lot* of ground work, and I'd be introducing him - with you on the ground - to cars OR trucks OR bikes, etc. one at a time, never pushing, never causing panic, letting him learn at his own speed rather than forcing him to accept at your speed. Then I'd take him to a place where he could stand away from the road and just watch the traffic for as many days as it takes before he becomes calmer about it.

I absolutely would not ride a horse that is afraid of traffic on a road, no matter if that's the only place you have to ride.

Build trust in your relationship, don't introduce and maintain fear in that relationship. Take it slowly now and you should have many years of safe riding. Conversely, push it now and you could have problems for many years.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA