Re: [RC] stallions at rides - Dyane Smith

----- Original Message -----
From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Talking is, IMO, unacceptable.  EVERY vocalization in public should be
quickly interrupted, and the stallion's mind brought back to you.  When
you handle stallions, you (hopefully) learn to have a subliminal running
dialog going with them at all times so that you keep their attention on
YOU where it belongs.  Tell them "no" quietly when they are just THINKING
thoughts of vocalization or of getting chummy with another horse.

Maryanne can probably speak to this with more authority than I, but when I
was a kid I rode stallions almost all the time in Libya and Pakistan because
they just don't usually geld (or didn't then, a 100 years ago, who knows
now).  I used to ride a colt that reared all the time and some others that
reared, but I don't remember any talking at all.  It's true the horses were
usually very socialized and no one thought much about whether you were on a
stallion or not because mostly you were, but I never had a problem with a
mare in heat.  I did have a couple of instances where two stallions dumped
their riders and mixed it up a little, but in four years and many, many
horses those were the only times.

Here, in California, I see owners that are very, very careful with their
stallions, and, as Heidi says, I guess rightfully so.  Maybe I've led a
charmed life (God protecting fools...), but I just don't think I have the
energy to manage a stallion.  People who think campaigning a stallion is
easy should really read this thread.

JMO,
Dyane
N. N. Ca