Re: [RC] stallions at rides - heidi

Ok I have looked and can not find anything in AERC preventing stallions
from doing endurance. A friend told me that if the ride managers or AERC
get news that a stallion is ILL mannered at a ride that stallion can be
band from competing.  I have a stallion and he is very green and no
where near ready to compete but if a stallion talks or acts up sometime
can he be banded forever.  I will not take my stallion to any ride till
I THINK he is ready but they are animals and I have a mare that has
totally bucked and almost got me off when she got excited.  What happens
IF something bad does happen with a stallion.  They are animals and no
one can predict them 100% of the time.

<sob>  I just wrote a lengthy reply to this, and hit "send" and web mail
ate it...  I'll try again....

Angela, there is no rule preventing stallions from competing, but there
ARE rules that allow ride managers to disqualify or refuse entry from ANY
horse that is unruly and endangers other horses and/or riders.  There have
been many very successful stallions in the sport over the years--and in
general, when they are in camp or on the trail, no one is aware that they
ARE stallions, unless someone looks underneath and sees testicles.  As far
as I'm concerned, that is the ONLY reason you should know there is a
stallion in camp....

No one can predict ANY horse 100% of the time.  But one CAN do one's
homework and greatly increase the odds!  The first rule with stallions is
that they are first and foremost HORSES and need to be treated as such.
They need to be properly socialized at home so that their heads are
screwed on straight to begin with, and they need to be made to behave in
group settings just like any other horse.  No excuses, no special
deals--just behave.

At home, stallions need to be in settings where they can hopefully at
least be nose-to-nose with other herd members.  If they have a comfortable
herd setting at home, they don't need to try to find one everywhere else
they go.  They also need to understand that home IS their herd, and that
wherever else they go, that is NOT their herd.  They go away from home to
work, not to do anything else--and that division needs to be strictly
enforced, IMO.  They need to be socialized about group riding experiences
also--do that first in small, controlled local groups.  Go to small local
shows.  Go on campouts with friends and trail ride together.  Get your
stallion to the point that traveling, working in public, and camping out
are No Big Deal BEFORE you come to an endurance ride!

Talking is, IMO, unacceptable.  EVERY vocalization in public should be
quickly interrupted, and the stallion's mind brought back to you.  When
you handle stallions, you (hopefully) learn to have a subliminal running
dialog going with them at all times so that you keep their attention on
YOU where it belongs.  Tell them "no" quietly when they are just THINKING
thoughts of vocalization or of getting chummy with another horse.  This
can (and should) be so subtle that those around you don't even realize you
are doing it.  Be aware of what they are doing at ALL times.  Untoward
attention directed at other horses means that YOU did not see the
potential situation first and direct the stallion's mind away from it.
The brain is still the biggest sex organ in the body--I always want to go
whip people who are out there whipping their stallion's erection, when it
was their fault in the first place that they didn't direct his BRAIN away
from the stimulus (or from just daydreaming) and keep it occupied.

Yes, you might part company from a stallion, just as you might from any
other horse.  It has happened to me and mine on a handful of occasions
over the years.  But they have been well-socialized fellows that most
anyone could catch and lead, and in most cases, they have either just
dashed off a bit and then waited for me to catch them, or if close to
camp, they have gone right back to their trailers.  If they are not that
well socialized, they are not yet ready to be there.  Period.

So yes, well-behaved stallions are welcome.  But bad actors need to stay
home.  And if you are insecure about how your stallion will behave at a
ride, odds are he is not yet ready to be there.

Heidi