RE: [RC] re Bates Caprilli All Purpose Saddle - Libby & Quentin Llop DVM

Robin:

       I have fit the Bates Caprilli GP to a TB event horse and was very
pleased
with the saddle quality and success of fitting.  For your purpose, however,
it might not be right.  By 'dropped' do you mean swaybacked?  The CAIR panel
is very good at providing a moving interface between horse and saddle.  It
does not, nor is it designed to, make up a difference in shape between horse
and saddle tree!  It is only 3/4 inches thick!  In other words, horses come
in lots of shapes, if your horse is swaybacked, it needs a tree that is that
shape.
       I think you should look at the Wintec 500.  We have found that the tree
in
it has too much curve, i.e. rocker, for many of our horses; it would
therefore fit a swaybacked horse more readily.  Furthermore the tree can be
flattened to fit a younger horse in future.  (On the webpage:
www.InvernessFarm.com/Backs.htm, we show the fit of a 500 on a flat backed
horse and how it can be adapted.)
       Changeable gullets, now available in several saddle brands including
Wintec, Bates, Collegiate and WOW, broaden the range of horses that a given
saddle will fit.  They do not, however, make a given saddle fit every horse.

Hope this helps.

Quentin

PS. Bates, an Australian company, makes both Wintec and Bates saddles, and
only  their saddles have CAIR.  FLAIR, the English airbag system, has higher
volume, ie. is thicker, a longer track record and can be retrofitted into
almost all English style saddles.