[RC] Swinging Bridge - DreamWeaver

Ok does the bridge really swing on the Tevis trail?

The first time I went over the bridge with Weaver, we got about halfway across and I was thinking that this was pretty cool...when...suddenly.....the reins in my hand stopped coming along. I suddenly had a 1000 pound weight behind me. I turned and looked back to see Weaver with all four feet spread out, and planted (with roots growing), his eyes bugged out and an expression that said "okay, this thing is MOVING, so I'm NOT!". I walked back a couple of steps towards him and put my hands out on the sides of the bridge and realized that oooooh yeah, it WAS moving. We were rocking back and forth quite a bit, well at least at the time it felt like quite a bit. Once the bridge stopped moving, we simply walked off and it was no big deal. The next time I went over it, I walked a little slower and it didn't swing at all. I think that is the key, just don't go bounding across it with too much enthusiasm and a fat horse in tow <g>.

For you guys contemplating the Tevis -- don't be afraid. Seriously, even I have done it a couple of times and have ridden on the trail on other occasions without being afraid. (and I hate heights!) Believe in yourself, and in your horse and you can do it. If you get scared or are not sure of something, then get off and lead -- make sure you've trained your horse not to trample you when you do that -- and be safe! If you lose your confidence, then your horse will too. Think positive thoughts and always believe you can do it and that your horse can do it. If you don't believe, then wait another year until you do. From a perspective (okay, so I am pretty warped) of somebody who has ridden on a lot of different trails, there are a lot of other rides out there with trails that have the same amount of "opportunity" for accidents to happen. May you all ride a good horse to a successful finish!

Karen
in NV