Re: [RC] West Nile vaccination reaction - heidi

Please Reply to: Diane Farnsworth dfarnsworth@xxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ========================================Since
West Nile is finally expected to reach our area this summer, I just had
the vet give my new colt (three-year-old) the first West Nile vacine.
This was given Monday morning. I went out to the barn this morning
(Tuesday) and the colt was/is broken out in hives. There is no swelling
at the shot site, but his entire body is covered in welts. They are
worse around the head, neck, shoulders and chest. His head is very
swollen, including his mouth,lips,nose,and jaw. His eyes are swollen
shut-a lot of swelling around the eye area, and even his ears are
swollen. There is no sign of neurological problems or any other
problems. The vet gave the colt a shot to help counter the reaction (I
can't remember the exact name, but it started with a "D") By the time I
left the colt was starting to pick at his food. This was the vaccine
from Merril, not the Fort Dodge vacine.  My vet has been very helpful,
but I am wondering if anybody has had, seen or heard of a reaction like
this? Next, I would like to hear some opinions if I should give the
second shot. At this point I am leaning toward not giving the second
round as I suspect a second reaction could be worse. I would welcome any
advice, thoughts or opinions. Thank you so much. It's really the pits
when you are trying to keep your horse healthy and make them sick trying
to do so!

EVERY time you vaccinate a horse (or any other critter) you have to look
at it as a risk management situation.  That means that you have to weigh
the risks of vaccinating against the risks of not vaccinating, and make a
choice as to which is best for that given animal in those given
circumstances.

The first question you have to ask yourself is "What is the chance that my
animal will contract this disease," and the second question you have to
ask is "What will happen to my animal if he DOES contract this disease?"
If the chance of contracting it is small but real, but the risk of
contracting it is certain death, then odds are that vaccination is the
best choice.  Likewise, if the risk of catching it is high, and there is
apt to be a period of illness, even if recovery is apt to be the outcome,
vaccination is likely worth the risk.  If the chance of contracting it is
negligible and the odds of a bad outcome if he does contract it are not
large, then vaccinating might be more risk in and of itself than taking
your chances.

But then there is a third question--and that is the one you are asking.
"What if my horse has already demonatrated a sensitivity to the vaccine?"
Now you have to weigh an almost certain chance of problems for your horse
against the chance that he MIGHT be exposed to the disease.  That, weighed
against the fact that many horses that are exposed never show symptoms, in
YOUR specific case, the risk of vaccinating likely far outweighs the risk
of disease.

If I lived in an area likely to have a high incidence, I would probably
vaccinate--at least for a time, until the disease becomes sufficiently
indigenous so that horses tend to have a natural immunity to it.  But--I
personally absolutely would NOT revaccinate a horse that had already shown
a sensitivity to the vaccine.  Just my nickel's worth..

Heidi