[RC] West Nile vaccination reaction - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Diane Farnsworth dfarnsworth@xxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Since West Nile is finally expected to reach our area this summer, I just had
the vet give my new colt (three-year-old) the first West Nile vacine. This was
given Monday morning. I went out to the barn this morning (Tuesday) and the
colt was/is broken out in hives. There is no swelling at the shot site, but his
entire body is covered in welts. They are worse around the head, neck,
shoulders and chest. His head is very swollen, including his
mouth,lips,nose,and jaw. His eyes are swollen shut-a lot of swelling around the
eye area, and even his ears are swollen. There is no sign of neurological
problems or any other problems. The vet gave the colt a shot to help counter
the reaction (I can't remember the exact name, but it started with a "D") By
the time I left the colt was starting to pick at his food. This was the vaccine
from Merril, not the Fort Dodge vacine.
My vet has been very helpful, but I am wondering if anybody has had, seen or
heard of a reaction like this? Next, I would like to hear some opinions if I
should give the second shot. At this point I am leaning toward not giving the
second round as I suspect a second reaction could be worse. I would welcome any
advice, thoughts or opinions. Thank you so much.
It's really the pits when you are trying to keep your horse healthy and make
them sick trying to do so!
Diane