Re: [RC] easy boots? - Glenda R. Snodgrass

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 Magnumsmom@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Trish,

You don't have to shoe.   Before I get flamed, I am definitely not a
"barefoot radical".   I know my old TB Magnum is better with shoes
on.   End of Story.

Anyways, Easy boots will stay on and they are a great option for you.

I would have to say that Easy boots "may or may not be" a great option for anyone. I think that dry vs. wet ground/feet makes a huge difference and needs to be considered.

I like keeping Tony barefoot, and rode him in easyboots with no trouble during the fall, winter and early spring, which were unusually dry this year, so he had nice hard feet. I was thrilled and hoped I could do some rides on him in easy boots this year and no have to shoe at all.

But when the normal rains returned in May and his feet got soft, I started having trouble with bruising. I took all the advice offered here on RC (except for cutting the heelstrap and foaming them on, just too much trouble to do 2 or 3 times a week), and nothing worked, no amount of vetwrap would do the trick, moving the heelstrap higher and lower, cutting it thinner, all hopeless. His feet are just too soft from the soaked, wet ground and they bruised every ride, so now he's in shoes.

Several folks from the SE region wrote me privately when I posted to RC about this a few weeks ago, and they all said the same thing, that easyboots can work really well when the feet are dry and hard but they tend to bruise when the feet are soft, so they only work in this area when we are in a drought.

Once again, you have to consider "East vs. West" when you take advice on Ridecamp. :)

--
Glenda R. Snodgrass
AERC #M18819