From: Lif Strand
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 9:11 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] WS 50 Accident--INVESTIGATE

At 07:52 PM 7/5/2004, Mary Abbott wrote:
>Yes, "you might have to ride a bit."  That was my point earlier.  The rider
>you suggested let the person pass from behind might not have been given that
>option.  People have to hold their horses back and wait for you to get to
>right place.

Yup, true.  And that's why training at home is so valuable - because your
horse might have to tolerate being tailgated for a few hundred feet or a
few hundred yards or even more.  And also the rider has to be centered
enough and present enough to realize that pulling off the trail might be
way better than fighting a horse that doesn't like being tailgated.  I am
not saying that happened at this year's WS 50 - I just know that it can be
an issue for some riders:  Being so focused on getting down the trail that
they don't realize that pulling over and stopping might, in the end, be the
fastest way to the finish line.  How do I know this?  Because I had to
learn it the hard way!

    Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
            Quemado NM USA