[RC] Devastation at Top of the Rock - Suvut

Today, Sue Keith, Dixie and I rode the white loop at the Top of the Rock ride which had been devastated by the tornado.  All I can say is OH MY GOD!  It was incredible and heart-breaking to see the wrath and power of Mother Nature!  Those of you who have ridden these trails in Henryville, IN may remember that loop as a beautiful, fast loop.  The ridge road was always so exciting to gallop, as it was very wide, flat, and shaded by beautiful 100-year old trees.

I can't even begin to describe the trails.  No sign of the way it used to be remains.  Trees are laid over and vast expanses of sky now show through the canopy of forest.  That big, long hill that we ride down after the wonderful gallop along Ridge Road is now laid open.  You can look down into the ravine -- and if you have a fear of heights, please be prepared for a breath-taking view.  The drop off was always there, but you couldn't see it until now.   Dixie saw a small herd of deer that was coming down Ridge Road (which we NEVER see), and they appeared dazed and bewildered.  Their home was so changed, they seemed not to know where they were!

If you come to Spook Run in October, you will see for yourselves how devastated that trail is now.  It is amazing to me that Bill Wilson and his neighbor, Marshall Deaton, were able to get through with bull dozers and chain saws to open this trail back up and make it safe once again.  All of us owe a HUGE debt of thanks to Bill and Marshall and anyone else who assisted in this clearing.

Don't take your trails for granted.   Please go ride and be thankful!!!

Susan in Louisville