[RC] Acceptable deaths? Tevis Trail & Rude Riders - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Dianna  cmkdreams@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

There are NO acceptable horse deaths.  But unfortunately they do happen and we
have to deal with them & try to insure they don't happen again.  Is the Tevis
trail at fault?  NO.  And NO! again.  Yes the trail is rugged, narrow in spots,
and high above the river.  But if you & your horse are experienced, you can
travel this beautiful trail without problems.  I have ponied horses across this
trail, including the section in this incident, with no problems.  The ponied
horses are usually the greenies out for the experience, following a seasoned
horse.  But when you add inexperienced and/or rude riders who won't or can't
control their horses, the risk factors are greatly increased.  It never ceases
to amaze me at how many riders think nothing of riding on the heels of the
horse ahead.  Very dangerous for both riders and horses.  While throwing things
out of my pack at them sounds like a great idea <vbeg>, it would probably put
them more out of control & me in more danger of being run over.  I try to be
polite in my first attempt to get a rider off my heels.  I will give trail if
it's safe and if it's not, will tell them to stay off my rear.  My next attemt
is to scream at the rider behind, at the top of my lungs with some *&^%
included.  This usually gets the message across that they had better give me a
lot of room.  For those who are entered in Tevis & worrying about their safety,
come with an experienced horse, come knowing the trail is rugged &
wilderness,and come prepared to ride the most beautiful trail you've ever
ridden.
Dianna