Re: [RC] [RC] WS 50 ACCIDENT WE WERE THERE - Dyane Smith

I agree with Lif that you should train for the worst case scenario and with Sandy that you should get the number of any bozo that puts you at risk.  We never heard what happened after the horse's fall.  Did the tailgaiting "gentleman" try to help; did he understand his part in it; did he take responsibility?

Also, for future, it seems to me that it would be important for people who see unsafe riding behavior (such as the people behind this guy) to say to the unsafe rider, "I have your number and if you don't immediately improve your riding (stop doing whatever it is that is unsafe), I will report you."

The other thing to say about training, is that at least my experience is that my horse was different (in his case, way more competitive) on a ride than he ever was in training.  One example, is the famous trot-by that we train for.  Any horse could blaze past him in training and, after the first few times, he could care less.  But he would never let that happen during a ride.

I do think we have to find a way to eliminate the air-heads and motocross types early on.  Accidents do happen, but no need to court them.

Dyane