[RC] It's Human Error not the trail - Karen

I've been in a similar accident with a horse -- luckily it had a much happier ending in that I only broke my clavicle and had other minor injuries -- the horse was unharmed. It would be nice if I could blame the person or horse behind that was tailgating, but the reality it is that I am 100% responsible for that "accident" happening. Me, myself and I -- there it is. There are a lot of things that people can do to avoid accidents or mistakes such as this from happening.

Don't go to an event with a technical trail if you haven't ridden on similar trails with that horse before
Don't start with the group if your horse can't mentally handle it. This is why I'm not entering Chief in Tevis this year, he now has over 1500 miles and is in his 3rd ride season. By mentally handle it I mean able to deal with being crowded and rammed into while maintaining a pace he is not used to going over technical and dangerous trail and actually watching where he is going!
If the trail has steep drop offs GET OFF and lead down or tail up.
Let others pass you and make sure you have your horses 'brain' back here on earth with you before proceeding
If you do happen to have a nice reliable horse please help out others that may need it -- it might only take you 5 minutes but could make the other persons entire day much better

Since I've been thru three Tevis ride starts, and completed twice I am aware of what the start is like. You must have a horse that can handle being run into, knocked into from behind, from the side, and you need a horse that can handle horses stopping in front with no notice and backing up. If your horse jumps out of the way of a horse trying to kick him, you are going to run into somebody else who will then be mad at you. People cutting you off. I had a woman ram into me, knocking my foot out of the stirrup with her own foot, then continuing on with her foot in MY stirrup, dragging my horse with her. There is a ton of excitement and energy in the air at that ride. Riders need to know that there will be times they will be stuck in a group and forced to go at the groups speed -- NOT the speed that their horse would normally go. It is a lot to ask of a horse to maintain it's sanity in times like that. Many can, IMO -- most can't -- at least not when I was there. I saw a lot of really wired out of control horses.

I do realize that at a ride like the Tevis, you can't simply start late or pull over (trail doesn't always allow it) to let others get by. That is why you need to have a horse that can handle a variety of situations. Combining all that energy and excitement with trail that is technical or has dropoffs has it's risks. On a 50, like the one last weekend -- you have more opportunity to start late or get out of the way and still make it in time. Even if you don't, being over time is much better than some of the consequences. I would also like to add to people -- PLEASE do not start late or in the back if you are not intending to ride at a controlled pace. It is the most annoying thing in the world for somebody starting a young horse on a ride to have to deal with people who have started behind them (say 20 minutes past the start time) and then they all run over the top of you.

Karen
in NV